In Utah, we understand that as companies become more sophisticated they are better able to understand and take greater control of their own risk management operations. It is our goal to provide affordable, diverse and flexible solutions that protect against any company’s dynamic business environment.
- In lieu of State premium taxes, a flat annual fee is charged. Naturally, personal and real property owned in Utah will be taxed, that money supports the Uniform School Fund.
- Regulators and Legislators are readily available with consistent, reasonable, and effective regulation.
- Easy access to quality experienced service providers.
- Utah is one of the leading domiciles committed to continual technological advancements. Currently all forms, documents, applications, and payments can be seamlessly submitted and/or uploaded online through the ‘Licensing & Forms‘ tab of our website.
- Utah is able to process applications for a Certificate of Authority ‘CoA’ within thirty (30) days. A CoA may be issued in much less time if the applicant is highly motivated to complete all the executed documents and fully fund the new captive.
- We expect to continually add additional resources as the Utah market expands and grows.
Utah is recognized as an innovative state, fostering and supporting creative solutions. If you are looking for an onshore domicile to form a captive insurance company, then Utah is your desired destination; where Risk Management, Cost Control, and Regulation connect.
There are multiple advantages to forming a captive in Utah. Consider the following when making your decision:
- The cost of doing business in Utah is significantly lower than in other States. Specifically related to captive insurers:
- Annual license fee of $6,375 (includes $250 e-commerce fee) for captives and $1,000 flat fee for cells in lieu of a premium tax.
- Competitive minimum capitalization requirements for all captive types as follows:
- Pure – $250,000
- RRG – $700,000
- Association – $750,000
- Sponsored – $500,000 (minimum of $200,000 must be provided by the sponsor).
- Dedicated captive insurance staff that is readily accessible and responsive to your needs and inquiries.
- A dedicated fund set up for the Captive Insurance Division means the necessary dedication and resources are provided by the State to insure we’re here to meet your needs now and in the future.
- Salt Lake City is home to an International Airline hub (Delta) and is a central location for western states. You can get here from just about anywhere with a quick direct flight.
- Utah is committed to continual technological advancement. We are essentially paperless, using online forms and PDFs for most all documentation and statements.
- Utah favors business friendly statutes. Based on regulations and other contributing factors, Utah is consistently voted one of the best states to do business.
- Utah has access to a quality job market with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.
- Utah has a unique environment with a strong economy and diverse outdoor activities.
- As part of your annual BOD meeting in the State be sure to enjoy some of what Utah has to offer:
These factors should induce one to ask, “Why not Utah?” – visit Utah
As you consider Utah for your domicile of choice, please visit the following links that will give you additional information about Utah and the business and work environment it can provide you: