Insurance Shopping Tips
Keep the following tips in mind when buying any type of insurance:
- Never pay for insurance until you are certain the agent and company are legitimate.
- Fraudulent policies are most often sold through direct mail solicitations, over the Internet or as unsolicited faxes, so be especially wary when responding to these solicitations. You can search for an agent or company at: Company & Agent Search.
- Request a copy of the completed, signed application. Representations made in the application may impact your coverage.
- Always pay by check or money order, and write your policy number on the check.
- If you don't receive your policy within 30 days, call the insurance company to make sure you are covered.
- Ask for a receipt for all payments. The receipt should include your policy number, the date of payment and the name of the insurance company.
- Finally, read the policy when you receive it. Contact your agent or insurance company with questions or concerns. Further assistance is also available from the Utah Insurance Department: 801-538-3800 or in state toll free 800-439-3805.